Saturday, May 5, 2018

Now I hunt treasure and research outlaws.

My baseball story. 

When I was young I fell in love with baseball.  Both playing sandlot baseball and following Major League Baseball.  My favorite player was Ted Williams.  It seemed everyone liked the Yankees and Mickey Mantle, so I became a Boston Red Sox fan.  That was about 1959.  I am still a very loyal fan of the Red Sox.  I even have Mookie Mania. 

I didn't get to play Little League Baseball.  My mother had me go to church, primary, which conflicted with team tryouts so I didn't get on a team.  I could only watch others play.  I watched older guys play baseball in the Pony League too.  The Pony League was for 13-14 year olds in that area.  I got on a team in the Pony League as they didn't require tryouts.  I was in like my first or second game when my dad bought a car and came and took me out of the game.  I felt like he could have shown me his new car anytime. 

But that wasn't all.  He wanted me to start going down to his ranch and farm at Woodside, Utah.  So much for my baseball career.  Woodside was, and still is in a way, outlaw territory.  My dad used to talk about Joe Walker and the Walker Trail all the time.  I even have a couple of stories about Butch Cassidy and my family. 

My father also used to have a lot of mining claims.  His father had a lot of mining claims and even his father had at least one mining claim.  I have discussed Dode's mining claims in other posts on this blog.  So that gave me an interest in mining, prospecting and somehow treasure hunting.  I have read all the treasure stories about Utah that I could.  I have even researched treasure stories in all states in the west. 

I currently have some active treasure hunts going on and I have joined GPAA so I can go prospecting, panning, detecting or whatever on their claims.  I still love baseball.  My dream is to hit the ball out of Spring Mobile Ballpark, which is the home of the Salt Lake Bees.  This at age 70.  I may not be able to do it but I would sure love the chance. 

Another wish list item is to find a 6 pound gold nugget in California or Oregon. 
Nicholas

No comments: